Welcome to ABOA
The roots of the Alberta Building Officials Association go back to 1959 when the first organizational meeting was held in Red Deer on February 21, 1959. Thirty seven building officials from Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Ponoka, Forest Lawn, Lacombe, Camrose, Stettler, St. Albert and Jasper Place attended the meeting.
Several goals were set by this group, including improvement of standards for building inspections, to assist in the overall education of building inspectors, to promote the importance of the Building Official’s role and to provide a forum for discussion of industry issues and concerns.
The first ABOA by-laws were adopted on October 02, 1959.
A meeting was held in Edmonton on March 12 & 13 in 1960, with close to 40 delegates. Speakers highlighted the need for a uniform building code for Canada and stressed the need for studies of fires and fire spread. The fall meeting that year was held in Calgary on September 17, 1960, and the main topic of discussion was the proposed changes to then current 1953 National Building Code.